If 2024 is the year you are choosing to focus on hair health and hair care, then this guide is for you!
In the quest for natural hair care products to improve our hair health, the journey often leads us through a maze of products and complex daily hair routines.
We're all about effortless, natural haircare 24/7.
Looking after your hair doesn't always need to involve complex daily hair care routines and 50 different hair products. There are some very simple ways to look after your hair each day and night, by simply incorporating silk hair products into your everyday.
Here we share a simple guide to day and night hair care, with our top haircare tips to help you achieve consistent hair care over time with minimal daily effort.
We also share our favourite silk hair products to support your daily haircare routine and maintain optimal hair health.
A Simple Guide for a Daily Hair Care Routine
Night Hair Care Routine: Healthy Hair As You Sleep
A night time hair care routine is a crucial part of growing and maintaining healthy hair over time. We spend around a third of our lives sleeping, which can often involve tossing and turning which puts pressure on the scalp and hair for hours each night. This means that is really important to have a night time hair routine that helps to protect hair from damage overnight.
Like many parts of the body, hair also undergoes a natural repair process at night. By adopting a healthy night hair care routine, you support and enhance this natural regeneration process, leading to stronger, healthier hair.
Here are our top tips to incorporate into your nightly hair care routine:
1. Use a Silk Pillowcase for healthy hair
Silk pillowcases aren’t just a luxury; they're a hair care essential. Silk pillowcases are becoming increasingly popular as an effortless way to look after your skin and hair every night as you sleep. There are a number of benefits for hair health:
- Reduces Breakage and Friction: During sleep, we often toss and turn, which can cause significant friction between our hair and the pillowcase. This friction can lead to hair breakage, split ends, and frizz. By implementing a night hair care routine that includes using silk pillowcases you can significantly reduce this friction and chances of tangle and breakage. Silk's smooth texture allows hair to glide over it without getting tangled or damaged. It also means you can wake up without bed head as there is far less frizz!
- Maintains Hydration and Natural Oils: A proper night routine helps maintain the natural oils in your hair. Cotton pillowcases, for instance, are more absorbent than silk and can strip hair of these oils, leading to dryness. Silk pillowcases, being less absorbent, help to retain your hair's natural moisture levels, keeping it hydrated and healthy.
2. Use a Silk Hair Bonnet
Whilst the silk pillowcase is now a well known tool for promoting healthy hair overnight, using a silk hair bonnet (also known as a 'silk hair wrap' or 'silk turban') is a less well known but equally effective method to maintaining healthy hair overnight.
By Incorporating a silk hair wrap into your 'night time hair care' routine, you can significantly reduce damage overnight. Hair wrapping has been traditionally used across many different cultures as a way to protect and cushion hair overnight. Using a 100% silk hair wrap to do this is the best hair wrap to use, as the natural properties of silk provide the most benefits for hair, including maintaining moisture levels, reducing friction and preventing tugging on hair overnight.
3. Tie Hair with a Silk Scrunchie or Silk Hair Tie
Many of us like to tie our hair overnight to help keep hair away from the face as we sleep. If you do tie your hair at night, it is really important to make sure you avoid any tight hairstyles as these can cause hair breakage and damage overnight due to the pressure put on the hair.
Instead, you should opt for a loose braid or bun and only use silk scrunchies or silk hair ties to gently tie your hair at night. Using silk scrunchies instead of regular hair ties will help to promote hair health as the soft is soft and gentle on hair to prevent any pulling or pressure.
4. Style Hair with Silk Heatless Curlers
One of the key ways that hair gets damaged over time is via heated curling methods. To maintain hair health, we recommend minimising heat styling as part of your daily hair care routine, as excessive heat causes significant damage to hair over time.
But what if you are you want to have beautifully styled hair for the day whilst keeping hair healthy?
For those seeking beautifully styled hair without heat damage, it's time to incorporate silk heatless curlers into your overnight hair routine. Using a Silk Heatless Curler not only creates beautiful overnight curls and waves (that can be adjusted to your desired look!), but they also use absolutely no heat. They are an absolute essential part of your heatless hair care routine.
Our how-to-guide on how to use silk heatless curlers is here to help you achieve heatless curls overnight.
Morning Hair Routine
For your morning hair routine, we have shared below a few of our favourite ways to keep hair healthy throughout the day:
Use silk scrunchies: the great thing about silk scrunchies is that they add a touch of luxury to your outfits by day and night, so they can be used 24/7 as a way to protect hair from damage.
- Scalp Massage: Start your morning with a gentle scalp massage. Using a scalp massager helps to stimulate blood flow to the head and promote hair growth. This is a simple yet effective addition to your hair care routine for scalp care, plus it feels amazing! A couple of our top choices for scalp massagers include Coco & Eve's scalp massager and Aveda's scalp massager.
- Regular Trims: Regular trims are essential for maintaining healthy ends and preventing split ends from working their way up the hair shaft.
- Don't brush wet hair: On hair wash days, make sure not to brush hair when it is wet as this is when hair is most delicate and fragile, due to hydrogen bonds being more flexible when wet. This means that if you brush wet hair or apply pressure ot wet hair by sleeping on it, it can lead to hair breakage and split ends.
Balanced Diet: A balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals is crucial for hair health. Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and vitamin E support hair strength and shine.
Gentle Washing: Over-washing can strip your hair of natural oils. Use a sulfate-free shampoo and focus on cleansing your scalp, letting the suds run down the rest of your hair.
Incorporating silk into your overnight hair care routine offers a gentle, effective approach to maintaining hair health. Alongside these silk-based strategies, adopting good habits like minimising heat styling, regular trims, and a balanced diet all contribute to the overall health and beauty of your hair.
Remember, to improve both hair health and the appearance of your hair over time, the key is to be consistent. An easy way to do this is to have a simple routine that you can easily follow each night, and by using silk hair products this is very easy to do!
By following these 'healthy hair tips', you can achieve the luscious, vibrant hair you've always dreamed of. Remember, the journey to healthy hair is a blend of the right natural hair care products, consistent practices, and a little bit of luxury, all of which silk effortlessly provides.